In my mind, digital literacy can be defined as the ability to make use of and navigate through technology in the way(s) that best helps an individual learn the information that they are seeking to learn. According to Cvetokovic and Stanojevic (2018), “definitions of digital literacy include: the use of information and communication technologies, searching, storing and sending digital information, creating, processing, and displaying digital information” (p. 1222). Firstly, I can understand how digital literacy can be positively beneficial for students, as I got to see digital learning in one of the classrooms I volunteered in last year. For example, elementary school students were using laptops to create a poster with an animal of their choice along with scientific information about that animal. In order to find information about their animals of choice, they had to use Google to conduct research. This implementation of digital literacy in the classroom allowed me to see the benefits of what the digital world can provide for a classroom, as I was able to see that the children were happy to learn new facts by themselves, while at the same time they were able to express their creativity.

I hope to integrate digital literacy similar to how this class did within my future classrooms (if students are able to access the technology needed) because it gives students the independence to learn on their own, and they therefore may learn more about themselves as well. This thought reminds me of discussions I have had with fellow students in the education program about how learning is connected to our identity. I believe that the more people know about themselves, then the more knowledge and new perspectives they can share with the world.

In contrast, digital literacy in classrooms/online learning also concerns me. My first concern is the problem(s) associated with money and digital literacy (especially if children are expected to use technology from home). For example, some parents of students might not be able to afford the costs of wifi or technological equipment such as laptops or smartphones: “There are people who are digitally illiterate due to energy insecurity. [People] have consistent energy, but lack consistent internet access and device access” (Udoewa, 2016, p. 31). It would not be fair for myself as a teacher to assume that all of my students have access to specific digital ways of learning. My second concern is the increase in anxiety in our society that has occurred alongside the increase in technology usage, as the mental health of my future students is very important to me. One example of how anxiety might increase in relation to technology is something called information anxiety, which is “a condition of stress caused by an inability to access, understand, or make use of, necessary information” (Bawden & Robinson, 2009, p. 185). Information anxiety can cause “a sense of powerlessness… feelings of being lost, unable to find one’s way around, and afraid to approach staff” (Bawden & Robinson, 2009, p.185). As humans, our senses can only process a limited amount of information at a time. The digital world is a vast space where we have access to an abundance of information and this can feel overwhelming.

I think having a discussion about both of the negatives and positives is a great start regarding how to implement digital literacy into classrooms. After processing all of this information, I think that I tend to sit on a fine line between really enjoying digital literacy and preferring to not involve technology within learning. Seeing both of the positives and negatives has allowed me to see that digital literacy (and teaching in general) is all about balance. In other words, there is a time and place for digital literacy, as digital literacy can motivate students to learn, but it can also cause overwhelm and anxiety (as discussed above). Incorporating digital literacy into learning while at the same time not constantly relying on digital literacy for learning is the key.

I’m sure we will continue to learn more about this balance as time goes on.

Bawden, D., Robinson. L. (2008). The dark side of information: Overload, anxiety, and other paradoxes and pathologies. Google Scholar. Retrieved September 20, 2020, from https://journals-sagepub-com.prxy.lib.unbc.ca/doi/10.1177/0165551508095781

Cvetkovic, B. N., Stanojevic, D. (2018). Integrating digital technologies into teaching process. Academic Search Complete. Retrieved September 20, 2020, from https://web-a-ebscohost-com.prxy.lib.unbc.ca

Udoewa, V. (2016). Helping the next 4 billion go online part 1: Design research for digital literacy education. Academic Search Complete. Retrieved September 20, 2020, from https://web-a-ebscohost-com.prxy.lib.unbc.ca