I think my biggest lesson that I have learned thus far in the B.e.d program happened when I began to see the changes within the education system in Canada that have happened over the last few centuries. Seeing how the education system had been formed on the basis of the idea of assimilation and also involved the forming of segregated schools (which separated people of different backgrounds/cultures) made me appreciate where the education system is at today. In every single class, a focus on knowing thy self, our students, forming relationships, and forming inclusive, welcoming environments has been brought up in conversation, and therefore I have learned more about the greater importance of passion and connectedness instead of the importance of technicality (which is also mentioned in the Parker Palmer reading).

Before the B.e.d program began, I did expect to learn about the themes of inclusivity and connection with peers and students, so I was glad to see that these were themes and topics of discussion that we began to dive into right away. Being authentic and teaching from a place of love and connection as opposed to teaching from a place of separation and ego is very important to me, so I have been happy to see that these topics have been brought up during multiple discussions in almost all of the classes. I also expected to see connections and similarities between different classes in the B.e.d program, and I am already beginning to see those connections. For example, in Educ 393 I wrote a paper that talked about how the education system in Canada has shifted from the foundation of ego and separation to more love and harmony. Similarly, the Parker Palmer reading discusses themes of integrity and identity, and I believe that when we teach from a place of being our true selves, more love and harmony will be able to shine through within a classroom.

In terms of what I have learned about myself, I think I have learned that my stress management skills still need some work. I am an individual who does not always handle a busy schedule very well, so I am still learning about how to balance all of the zoom meetings and assignments, my health, the new tasks week to week, my work life, a social life, and relaxation time. Although I have not yet reached a place where I feel like I am completely calm and balanced, I have learned to not be so hard on myself during this process. Being my worst critic is something that I had done for way too long throughout my life, and I am beginning to give myself more credit for who I have become over the last few years. I think all of the challenges that I have overcome have set me up to become the best possible teacher I can be. Although I still have a lot to learn, I have learned to appreciate being in the process of learning instead of constantly waiting for “all of the right answers.” If we are constantly waiting to reach a certain potential, we may never arrive there, for we must realize that where and who we are today is the greatest potential we have ever arrived at so far. We will continue to grow as individuals if we have the balance of putting effort into becoming better people while still appreciating ourselves for who we are in this moment.