When researching the topic of digital citizenship, I came across a definition that I believe explains it very clearly. Digital citizenship can be defined as the norms of behaviour with regard to technology use; the nine general areas of behaviour that make up digital citizenship may include etiquette, communication, education, access, commerce, responsibility, rights, safety, and security (Ribble et. al., 2004). I think that the “norms” of behaviour with regard to technology use may be perceived differently among different individuals. My questions are: what are these norms exactly? Who defines them? And do these norms change regarding space and place in the world?

I think raising these questions is one of the reasons why exploring the idea of digital citizenship is so important, considering the answers to these questions would be very complex, and again, would differ among diverse individuals. For myself, I think there is one element of digital citizenship that I see as a “norm” in today’s modern world, which is that citizenship, in general, has become “increasingly mediated by digital communication” (Shelley et. al., 2004, p. 257). Since we, as teachers, are able to communicate with students face-to-face every day, we also have the ability to be a role model for students in regards to digital citizenship. For example, when teaching students digital citizenship, we can create regulations for cell-phone use in class and create a new behavioural “norm” in the space of the classroom. For myself, I would prefer my classrooms space to be one of focusing on socializing and communicating with other individuals in person, and so cell phone use would only be allowed if they were used for learning purposes (like a kahoot game, for example).

I want to create a space where students do not forget about the importance of forming deep connections with others (this idea is a part of my pedagogy), and I do not believe that deep, meaningful relationships with others can be formed through the digital world alone. The fact that digital citizenship is becoming more and more mediated by digital communication makes me think of the rise of bullying and social media outlets where norms and trends “shape people’s behaviour…the navigational complexity makes theses spaces especially interesting and challenging for teens…[when] the teen is trying to craft a personal identity” (Lenhart et. al., 2011, p. 12). Thinking about digital citizenship is important to me because sometimes my concerns around the digital world outweigh the benefits of the digital world for me, personally. However, I also believe that anyone and everybody has the choice to use the digital world and perceive digital citizenship in ways that are beneficial to individual life without hurting or harming others. I, as a teacher, can set healthy boundaries around technology in the classroom where students can be taught both the pros and the cons of an emerging digital world. For example, I can create research assignments where students can go to the computer lab and see that the Internet has the capability to provide people with an abundance of positive, helpful information. On the other hand, I could also invite guest speakers into the classroom to talk about cyber-bullying and the problems with increasing digital communication in regards to digital citizenship.

Although I have my personal opinions regarding the “norms” of the digital world, I am still able to see the benefits of the vast space of the Internet. Maybe the questions that I mentioned at the beginning of this blog post can be questions that I pose to students as well, so that they can begin to critically think about digital citizenship for themselves. Critical thinking when it comes to digital citizenship is what will allow us as citizens of an emerging digital world to create our own “norms” and discover what works best for us. Each individual can create their own boundaries around the digital world and it is ultimately up to each individual to choose how they will navigate it.

Lenhart, A., Madden, M., Smith, A., Purcell, K., Zichukr, K., Rainie, L. (2011). Teens, kindness, and cruelty on social network sites: How american teens navigate the new world of “digital citizenship.” ERIC. Retrieved November 16, 2020, from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED537516.pdf

Ribble, M., Bailey, G., Ross, T. (2004). Digital citizenship: Addressing appropriate technology behaviour. Gale Academic Onefile. Retrieved November 16, 2020, from https://go-gale-com.prxy.lib.unbc.ca/

Shelley, M., Thrane, L., Shulman, S., Lang, E., Beisser, S., Larson, T., Mutiti, J. (2004). Digital citizenship: Parameters of the digital divide. SAGE Journals. Retrieved November 16, 2020, from https://journals-sagepub-com.prxy.lib.unbc.ca/doi/pdf/10.1177/0894439303262580